Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought to ask this awhile back when I was hauling in my traps for the season, but forgot to and just remembered now. I had a trap placed from april through fall and I checked it each week for activity in the spring. I never saw bees traveling in or out and assumed it was left unused by the bees. Upon retrieving the trap I popped the lid to see that one of the frames was drawn with new, light colored wax about 20% starting near the top of the frame and arcing downwards. Obviously this was new wax as the frames I placed inside were all old, dark wax frames. So what happened here? Did a swarm move in for a very short time and then leave again? It would have had to be for less than a week that any bees were in it since I checked once per week. This was my first year placing traps and was unsuccessful across the board but seeing this wax leads me to believe that maybe I should try this location again. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,276 Posts
Probably a virgin queen from an after swarm and she did not return from her mating flight. Bees gave up and left after getting an area prepped for her return. You know bees were in the area, try again this year in the same spot. Make sure the hive is in the shade. Slight possibility that they found a more suitable location after starting in your trap. Make sure to follow the advice of those that catch a lot of swarms so they stay put after moving in.

Reactions: ntstfomoco

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I find that 10% -/- of bait catches fail. Queens can fail. The bees can decide to move to one of their other choices. The swarm can be too big to fit. That happens with 5 frame traps. I still use 5 frame traps very successfully but think 8 and 10 frame traps better. This catch absconded the next morning:

Reactions: ntstfomoco
1 - 3 of 3 Posts