Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sometimes I check my grafts on day 3 after grafting.
Here is a picture of a grafting lesson I was giving a mentee.
The top row are my grafts.All the same size and not quite capped.
The mentee was row 2. Note that some cells are already sealed. The larvae were too old on grafting day.To prevent those sealed cells from emerging early and destroying the rest of the cells,I destroyed them.
My mentee ended up with 3 beautiful mated Qs out of 10 grafts and learned a valuable lesson.She was totally thrilled!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
The grafting part is relatively easy to iron; the hard wrinkles are in setting the scene just right for acceptance and build out ! Mood music and the lights turned low etc. Still more hurdles ahead in getting the virgins accepted and mated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sometimes the bees just aren't in the mood. A dearth will certainly change their mood. I grafted four frames of queens last week and the bees tore down all but one cell. Results were much better the week before...
Mike, can I ask something relevant to this question/answer? I created a nuc a month ago with plenty of brood, a frame full of honey, and 3 bottom-of-the-frame good-looking queen cells. Went in today to check the status. No queen cells, and no queens/brood. Would a dearth cause that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts