Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have 1 swarm trap up and want to put up a few in my out yard. Question is di you guys put frames in them? If so with or without foundation or starter strips? I have some LGO.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
If you're not adding comb (as an attractant), then the only reason to add frames IMO is for management so you don't have to cut out the newly-built comb. Swarms can draw some beautiful comb, so I'd just put in whatever way you regularly add new frames. One way is to use at least one old comb and the rest foundation/less; that way the queen can start laying right away, and the comb guides the direction for foundationless comb building.

What's LGO?

·
Registered
760 Posts
ive used old frames, a hand full of bur comb, LGO, old queen cages, and left then as just a empty box in a tree and they all seem to work , ......sometimes

when you think about all the non beekeepers that call us with bees in there walls, its easy to see why no bait is needed -

so my advice is to try different things - but the real success of bait hives is the NUMBER of bait hives and space them no closer then 1 acre each -- too many that close and they get confused as to what one was the best -

good luck

i staple some moss and leaves to my boxes to help it blend in also

·
Registered
435 Posts
The main ingredient is lgo and a dark brood comb.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Richard Taylor talks about not giving a swarm any drawn comb, he says it inhibits their natural comb building fixation, any thoughts on this and adding old brood comb?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've heard/read that natural swarms are primed to build beautiful comb...that's the first thing they have to do once they find a new home..why not take advantage of it?

I'd try ben's way....one good frame of old black comb for the queen to start laying in asap, and the rest foundationless...let bees do, what bees are suppose to do... imo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts