Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apart from wax and equipment, what gets put into beehives by beekeepers. We all know that the bees food is nectar, honey and pollen.

I will start the list off here but would like your input. It will be interesting to see how many different products get put into hives.

My reason for starting this thread comes from a forum member who asked if he should also put the egg whites in while using egg yolk as a protein source in his pattie.

Egg yolks and whites, Cane Sugar, Corn Syrup, Essential Oils, Oxalic Acid, Terramycin, Icing sugar, Probiotics, Bleach, Soy Flour and Brewers Yeast.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
None of these things get put in my hives, but here are some things often put in hives in addition to the ones you listed:

Tylan (antibiotic)
Fumidil (aka Fumigillan, antibiotic)
Vinegar (used to preserve syrup and some think it works on Nosema)
Essential oils (various ones, thymol, menthol, neem, tea tree, wintergreen, spearmint, peppermint, pennyroyal, lemongrass etc.)
All kinds of flour (rye, wheat, soy)
Fluvalinate (Apistan)
Cumaphos (Check Mite)
Amitraz
Formic acid
Lactic acid
Acetic acid
Humic acids (this is not a specific acid, but a family of acids)
Butyric acid (bee go)
Benzaldehyde (bee quick)
Bacillus thuringiensis

There are several experimental things, other mites, fungi, pseudo-scorpions etc. to try to kill the Varroa, but none are in the mainstream yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
I agree, Rusty. :)

But since the thread is about what "gets put into hives", There is a very extensive list of things that don't get put into hives. :D Many things won't even fit - even if you have a tower hive! :lookout:

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
Yes, some put ascorbic acid, citric acid, lemon juice (and other things we already listed) in their syrup. I have used ascorbic acid. But considering that the last time I fed syrup was seven years ago or so, I can't say I put it in a hive very often...

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
MB, is there a source for pseudo scorpions? I found one crawling on me last year duck hunting, pretty cool.

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
>MB, is there a source for pseudo scorpions?

I don't know. I only know I've seen some videos of them killing Varroa and suggestions that they could be used for that. I've seen a few in my hives, but nothing significant...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mineral oil (SHB traps and fogging)
Roach poison (SHB traps)
Crisco (various patties)
Wax paper
Newspaper
Cardboard (HopGuard)
Smoke

I suppose foul language goes in in varying quantities when the bees are testy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I dropped a hive tool into one (in a row of four) and couldn't for the life of me find it. Found it two months later when picking up the splinter pile after a bear obliterated it. I guess that was the bright side of the bearpocalypse...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts