Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the luxury of being able to do whatever I want to the ground in my yard that will house my beehives. I have built a stand to have them off the ground, but what would be recommended for the area that will be under the hive stand? Landscape fabric, gravel, pavers, etc............. (I have read that bees do try to eat some landscape fabric) Does it even matter? Since I have the opportunity to modify it before installing the hives it would be best to do it in advance!

Thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
635 Posts
i think anything to prevent vegetation growth is a good thing. Some my hives dont mind the weed wacker, others are not as forgiving. I ended up spreading quite a bit of salt under mine to kill all of the vegetation without spraying chemical. After re-roofing my shop, i plan to lay down some of the old shingles and see what that gets me.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
We levelled the area. Under the stands are pavers. In one area that has a row of hives we levelled, put down rubber stall mats and then pavers under each hive stand. Is great as keeps vegetation down plus feet and equipment remains clean. Expense of the mats $75 ea is the downside so I don't have them for all my hives...wish I did...may break down and purchase more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I placed black plastic woven sheet material and then about 4 inches of crushed granite on top....works really well....no weed growth and small hive beetles have no chance

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't have anything under mine. I have them 16" off the ground, and keep them sprayed with round-up. I would suggest putting gravel behind the hives where you stand so you will not slip when it's wet!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anything that will separate the hives from the soil.

Hive beetle larva have to reach soil to pupate. If they can't, the lifecycle is broken and the amount of SHBs in your hives is drastically decreased.
I read that such things won't help a lot because the larvae can travel far, so have you found a decrease
of SHB in your hives from doing this?
I also will be putting stuff down, thinking paver stones, because I do not see how it can hurt
but would like to hear from people who it has helped.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
819 Posts
I use old rubber roofing. Most times you can get a boat load of it for "FREE" (best part). I will last for years and keep the grass killed out. I like to extend it past the front of the hives for a couple of feet to let you see what the bees are dragging out the front entrance.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use old rubber roofing. Most times you can get a boat load of it for "FREE" (best part). I will last for years and keep the grass killed out. I like to extend it past the front of the hives for a couple of feet to let you see what the bees are dragging out the front entrance.
What exactly is this?

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
819 Posts
Call around to a commercial roofing contractor to see where they are tearing off a rubber roof. Take a trailer and a helper, this stuff is heavy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts