Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
i see similar streaks when the bees are getting into tulip poplar and cotton, except the color is bright yellow and creamy yellow respectively.

both of those blooms are large cup like flowers that the bees go into and crawl around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok maybe it’s jewelweed. We have something blooming now that looks like that. I’ll have to do some scouting. Must be a good nectar source because very few that were striped were carrying pollen

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm getting the white stripes too and I'm on the East side of Lake Washington (Rose Hill, Kirkland). Supposedly jewelweed is not supposed to be here and the county wants to be notified if found.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm getting the white stripes too and I'm on the East side of Lake Washington (Rose Hill, Kirkland). Supposedly jewelweed is not supposed to be here and the county wants to be notified if found.
I live near the North end of Lake Washington and the jewelweed is very common. A few years ago they (the city or county?) made some effort to get rid of it from wetlands in my neighborhood but apparently not this year (or they could not catch up). They did remove closely related Himalayan balsam.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I saw something like this on my bees when I first started beekeeping. Then I discovered a viney plant with white flowers called Morning Glory, or bindweed. It looks like this:

https://mudsongs.org/pollen-nectar-source-morning-glory/

You can see how the pollen would rub against the bee by the way the bee has to reach into the flower. It could be something like that that's causing it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting, I see that in Sammamish (little more east of Kirklan) and I though those were some sort of wild bee mongrels...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts