Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank to everyone's help on this forum. I have almost finished my first equipment list. So hear goes.

1 Bee Brush . I think it will come in handy
1 manipulation Cloth. not sure why
2 10 frame Entrance reducers.
1 10 inch Hive tool .
100 5 5/8 crimp wire small cell wax foundation. I am looking for all wax no wire? I am going to visit the Fat/Beeman he should have what I am looking for.
108 6 1/4 Grooved top and bottom frames.
1 Pro stainless steel Smoke engine w/shield and finger shield cone top.
12 6 5/8 Commercial Cypress supers . I am going with ten frame only because you can get more stuff made for the ten frame then you can for the eight frame.
2 Bottom Boards Cypress Commercial
1 Frame perch. don't know why
2 Migratory covers Help keep the hive cool all wood no metal
2 Vertical Slatted Racks. Help keep the hive cooler less work for the bees so they can make more honey. Also might help with swarming.

I am still up in the air on what type of bees and were to buy them. I will be going with nucs for my first year.

So what do you all think? any equipment out of line? Do I have to much or not enough?

Please let me know

Brooklyn

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hey there buddy....sorry for neglecting ya! you and I are neighbors, so call me on my cell at our area code, three six oh, oh seven 5 six!

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Hey Brooklyn...
You gonna try not having a veil?
I would recommend at least a nice pair of tight fitting wrap-around safety glasses. Oh, and a nice wide brimmed straw hat works well too.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Make sure the smoker is one of the bigger ones, the smaller are a pain to keep lit. I would eliminate the frame perch and just get two more boxes, one to sit on and one to put frames into as you work.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I wish I thought of that. I all ready purchased the frame perch. But getting two extra boxes would of been a better way to go. Thanks I hope this helps others.:doh:
Dang it

·
Registered
194 Posts
Brooklyn,

Welcome to the forum and your new addiction, I mean hobby, and don't beat yourself up for buying a frame perch. I bought one and use it when I'm just taking a look in a hive. I'll pull a frame or two from the side and hang them right there to have room to move other frames without harming the bees. (there's really only room for about 3 frames) If I'm doing something where I need to have more frames out, like pulling frames of brood to help another hive, I'll use a box. All in all though, I find it's pretty handy to have the frame perch on the side of the brood chamber if I only need to hang a couple of frames.

Also, I'd get a veil. Getting stung in the face is about the worst place to get stung above your waist. Especially until you build up some resistance to bee venom. My first sting itched like crazy for 3 or 4 days and the swelling didn't go away completely for about 2 weeks. I've been stung enough now, that it usually doesn't swell or itch at all. Still burns for a few minutes though. :pinch:

BB

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a UltraBreez Jacket.:thumbsup:

The other thing is I have never been stung in my life.
I have touched bees on flowers and let them walk on my hand with sugar water and nothing. But when someone comes around me and I am doing that they do get stung every time. I think it is because they see what I am doing and run so the bee chases them. Not sure though.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Brooklyn

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am putting together a "start from scratch" equipment list for another group and this is what I needed a couple of years ago when I started. The number after the item is how many. You might not need 2 smokers and 10 veils like my group does, but it gives you an idea. The first item listed, the "unassembled 10-frame medium hive set", comes with two medium brood boxes and everything else that says "set" after it. I have had a bee brush for a couple of years and haven't ever used it. I usually just blow on the bees to get them out of my way or use a teensy bit of smoke. And sometimes I wish a had a frame perch but never wanted to pay for one.

Look to buy your nucs locally as was suggested. I got mine from Porter Farm Bees not too far from you.

And to anyone reviewing my list, if I've missed something, please let me know. I just realized I'll need more frames for the extra hive bodies, for example :)

unassembled set, 10-frame medium hive 2
10-frame unassembled medium hive body 4
medium frames set
5-frame nucleus colony, Russians 2
smoker 2
hive tool 4
veil 10
full bee suit (2 medium, 2 large) 0
trash can 2
industrial platform scale 1
cinder block (hive stand) 6
2x6 plank (hive stand) 4
screened bottom board set
inner cover set
telescoping outer cover set
exterior paint, 1 gallon 1
primer, 1 gallon 1
paint brushes 8
entrance reducer set

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
This isn't exactly what you'd call equipment, but every beek should have these anyway:
- A subscription either to Bee Culture or American Bee Journal. You might find Bee Culture more helpful.
- A copy of The ABC's and XYZ' of Honeybees. And you might want to put "The Hive and the Honeybee" on your Christmas list for this year.
- A copy of a basic, beginner's beekeeping book...
And, of course, you are to be commended for finding this forum! :thumbsup:
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I like my frame perch, use it all the time.
Isn't Brush Mountain near you? They have bees from Jennifer Berry, great reputation.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have two types of hive tools and use them all the time - one the American Hive tool and the other the Australian version - with a hook. The American HT is much better for scrapping/cleaning but the OZ one is great for lifting and separating frames.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have a UltraBreez Jacket.:thumbsup:

The other thing is I have never been stung in my life.
I have touched bees on flowers and let them walk on my hand with sugar water and nothing.
A word of advice...Going into their home and sometimes ripping it apart is a little different than touching them on flowers, when they do not have their home to protect- so don't expect the same calm behavior all of the time.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The reason I started beekeeping was that a few years ago I had bursitus in my elbow and my sister-in-law told me to let a bee sting me there to relieve the pain. After about a week, I finally found and caught a bee in my garden and try as I could, couldn't get her to sting me.

I was alarmed that there were no honey bees around, despite all my garden and yard flowers, so I got bees. About my second trip into my hives I was stung on the finger (wrong color gloves) and have been stung a dozen times since this past year - scrape and don't squeeze the stinger out & you'll appreciate it.

There are people here that have been stung a blue-gazillion times around the hive - let the neighbors know that it is hard to get stung by a bee otherwise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts