Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it mean when there are many drones in front of your hive? I went out and checked my hives I placed out last year and there are tons of drones interring and leaving the hive. What does this mean?

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
It means all is right with the world. Bees like drones and it's not uncommon for as much as 10% of your hive population to consist of drones. That can seem like a lot of drones.

They also tend to fly around the same time each day so at times you'll see a lot more drones in front of your hives than at other times. They also drift so some of the drones you see may not belong to the hive they're slumming around. They usually head out to the local drone congregation area in the early afternoon. Unless you've got more drones than workers, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be worried if I didn't see any drones.

·
Registered
280 Posts
As George said, I wouldn't be concerned with how many drones are in the air. Check your brood comb. If it looks like too many drone cells, I cut it out or replace the frame.

George's drones "head out to the local drone congregation area in early afternoon". Mine have a floating crap game going down in the far corner of the field. They buzz around, talk trash and smoke their cigarettes while waiting to ravage an untouched queen. Bunch of deliquents if you ask me. That's why they never amount to anything.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Sounds like a healthy hive. Drones (like all men) like to hang out and shoot the breeze.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like that. That is awesome. I could definately be a drone. I better become a drone when I am reincarneted. Maybe the Xenu will help me out with that lol.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
>Bunch of deliquents if you ask me.

I always figured they're were smoking dope. It wouldn't surprise me to find they were gambling and talking dirty too.

>I better become a drone when I am reincarneted.

You better hope you're an Islamic drone, they die and get 76 virgins. EHB on the other hand get 1 virgin if they're lucky, then they die..

Speaking of drones, it's about time I went off in search of a DCA. I've been meaning to do that this year.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I posted this question a while back I noticed the drones in front of the hive on the ground about 2 days before I had a swarm in two different hives. I guess it had nothing to do with the swarming? I don't know.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Speaking of drones, it's about time I went off in search of a DCA.
Drone Calling Accordion?
Drone Cell Attenuator?

Ok, George. I give up

I see the drones coming in a lot sometimes, and other times not at all. There are set times that they cruise for chicks. I find it funny that they come back and race into the hive as if they have important business there. "Stand aside. I'm a drone and it's lunch time. Feed me!"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hmmm, Drones cruising for chicks, maybe but they would be in for a surprise. A drone mates once and dies immediately after. Not a life of luxury in the dating world.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Doug,
If I were you I would look for these other symptoms:
1) lawn chairs
2) DV projector
3) sheet strung between volleyball poles
4) coolers full of drinks
5) barbeque grill and charcoal
6) loosened belts

If you see any of these in addition to all they guys hanging around outside, they're probably getting ready to watch a game.

Waya

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,987 Posts
>How do you go about finding one?

A good fishing rod, some QMP (you can buy it as "Bee Boost" from Mann Lake or make some with old queens in a jar of alcohol, or just use a queen in a cage), and a helium balloon. Watch which direction your drones fly and start fishing. You'll see a drone comet when you find a flyway. Follow the flyway. They tend to follow tree lines and other landmarks. When you find a DCA you'll have a serious drone comet following your "queen".

·
Registered
4 Posts
George Fergusson wrote:
"Unless you've got more drones than workers, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be worried if I didn't see any drones"
would you explain why that is for me?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts