Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
On Thursday afternoon, I caught a swarm from one of my hives and successfully moved it into a box with a queen excluder on it to keep them in the box.
Today, (Saturday), I was watching the hive to see what the bees are bringing in. I did not see them bringing any pollen in. No pollen whatsoever. I looked at a few of my other hives and they were bringing in a bunch of pollen.
Is there a period of time after swarming that the bees will not bring in pollen? In looking at the bee calendar, it will be at least 3 days before pollen would be needed for the larvae. Will the bees not bring in pollen until needed or will they bring it in on day one? I am worried that the swarm may not be accepting the box.
should I just take of the excluder and see what happens? I have not done an inspection to see what they are doing.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Did you put them on drawn comb? They have to have comb to store pollen in.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I hived a couple swarms last year, my first year of beekeeping. In my limited experience I think you are jumping the gun. I would imagine that they have started drawing some comb, but likely not much in only 2 days. They don't have anywhere yet to put pollen if they did bring it back to the hive.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The stimulus to bring in pollen is open brood. If there is no open brood they have no urge to gather it. They will get it when they need it. Don't worry.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
They will need to draw the walls on some comb at least 1/4 high before the queen will lay, so they should be collecting pollen in a few days. My new package isn't too excited about pollen yet, although I've seen some going in. Will check again tomorrow, they've been in there a week so it's about time.

Peter

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personally do NOT open a hived swarm for at least 10 days. As you housed them just on foundation, they have to draw out (make) the comb and that doesn't happen over night. Sometimes if you open the hive up too early and before the queen is laying they may get upset and swarm again to find a less disturbed house.
You haven't said what is above the excluder???

·
Registered
145 Posts
I recently caught a swarm too. Question is I don't know if I got the queen. Will waiting the 10 days be too long? If I didn't, won't waiting 10 days before I put in a frame of eggs and brood be too long using the queen bee math?

Thx

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Bees use pollen to feed brood. if there is no brood they have no need for pollen. If the queen is a virgin in that swarm they have no brood yet. If all she has done is layed eggs they still have no open brood that needs to be fed. Bees are capable of on time shopping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts