Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far all I have used is a cleaning products caddy, 2 sides with handle in the middle. It works ok but I'm not thrilled with it. I wondered how you all take your supplies to the bee yard?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I use a plastic collaspable produce crate I found at a garage sale for $3. I have a small bin that fits inside that I can take out to the hives that has smoker, fuel, tools, essential most used stuff.

b1.jpg

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
This tote that I use is not very elegant or roomy but it was free :)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I bought the metal pet bucket at Lowes, houses my smoker (it claims to be airtight) and all my hive tools etc... Smoker gets capped anyways, but the bucket makes sure it's contained and goes out.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I use a really sexy, green, five gallon bucket. One for tools and my smoker, and one for the pine needle smoker fuel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use a square 5 gallon bucket with a tool caddy like you can get at any home improvement store. One of the best tool boxes I've ever seen belonged to D. Coates. He just used one of his famous nuc boxes with hinged lid and a carrying strap on it to carry all his tools, and could use the box to collect a swarm if needed.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I have my hive tool in my back pocket, my smoker in hand or on top of a hive, supers on the truck or on a pallet on the ground.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I store all the possibles in a tool box I built for the purpose, along with a feed sack of pine straw, but all of that stays in the truck most of the time. I do keep a sharpie in my jacket pocket in addition to a magnifying glass, and my hive tool in my back pocket - although a holster of some kind would prevent getting propolis on my billfold. It's hard to break the back pocket habit once you form it though. Sure is Hard on the upholstery.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Sure is Hard on the upholstery.
I often hear this said. Yet I have never in 30 some years of beekeeping, carrying a hive tool in my back pocket more months of the year than not, never yet cut an upholstery or my back. My tool faces me, not away from me.

Propolis on my credit cards and license yes, but never any other damage.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Well then I guess that means that I have accomplished in just a handful of years that which you have yet to achieve - A hole in my truck seat. :D

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I've been using a 5 gallon bucket which works just fine, but my daughter bought me one of these for Christmas: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Merrill-Tool-Box/productinfo/247/

I haven't tried it yet, it's pretty heavy, but looking at the video, it holds 5 frames like a nuc but without an entrance, there's a hole but it's screened. I may unscreen it and just use this as a nuc for splits!

A 5 gallon bucket really does me just fine.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah the truck seat can take a beating from a hive tool, but it also took a shot from that screw driver I put in my back pocket also.
I usually carry a 3 gallon pail with some misc tools and smoker fuel, but some how the hive tool always gets left in my pocket. Maybe one of the car companies will design a seat with a cut out for tools that get left in the pocket of. forgetful users like myself

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
A five gallon bucket with one of those canvas? tool inserts..........holds it all & then some.

·
Registered
161 Posts
And here I've just been storing everything in my upturned bee veil. I need to get more high tech!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like to wear those pants with the smaller tool pockets on the side. Hive tool slides right down in one of them, as does a lighter. I carry the smoker in one hand, and I also like to carry a frame holder to hold a frame or two while I am going through the hive. And the side pockets on the pants will prevent damage to the truck seat from hive tools. Also makes it a lot easier to get the hive tool in the side pocket - as opposed to the back pocket where you cant see it - or your bee suit might be covering your back pocket. I do carry a magnifying glass in the back right pocket to help me see eggs - old eyes are not too good for seeing the eggs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts