Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What do you think?

1679 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  honeybeekeeper
All,

I set up my first ever hive this year and it appears to be doing well but wanted to float a couple questions past you?

The hive was started in mid-April with a 3 lb. package. Have examined it many times and everything looks as expected. Haven't looked at it in the past 3 weeks (will be looking this weekend) but am not expecting to see anything out of the ordinary. The last time I examined the hive (3 wks ago) I definitely noticed an increase in the population from the previous examination (a week prior to that). I have been giving them syrup since the day they were started and of late they have been consuming over a quart a day, actually noticed yesterday that they downed 1/2 a quart in 4 hours. (I give then syrup so that I can be assured they build up big and strong.)
Would you consider this an appropriate amount of syrup for them to consume?

Since they appear to be quite strong would splitting be appropriate this year, or should I wait until next year? (But I guess that would mean I need to get another queen).

Thanks in advance.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,297 Posts
Your second deep is on the hive, but is all the comb drawn? And is your honeyflow over? Ours is here, and now for the hives that aren't fully drawn out, I have to feed to gt them to finish drawing comb and get them ready for winter. It is not too soon to start thinking about winter preparations.
Regards,
Steven

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.