Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I set up my first ever hive this year and it appears to be doing well but wanted to float a couple questions past you?

The hive was started in mid-April with a 3 lb. package. Have examined it many times and everything looks as expected. Haven't looked at it in the past 3 weeks (will be looking this weekend) but am not expecting to see anything out of the ordinary. The last time I examined the hive (3 wks ago) I definitely noticed an increase in the population from the previous examination (a week prior to that). I have been giving them syrup since the day they were started and of late they have been consuming over a quart a day, actually noticed yesterday that they downed 1/2 a quart in 4 hours. (I give then syrup so that I can be assured they build up big and strong.)
Would you consider this an appropriate amount of syrup for them to consume?

Since they appear to be quite strong would splitting be appropriate this year, or should I wait until next year? (But I guess that would mean I need to get another queen).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Are they on one deep hive body or did you place the 2nd deep hive body??????? If you placed the 2nd deep hive body they are filling it up with sugar water if they are taking that much...When you inspect soon as possible since its been 3 weeks i would see if they are filling the cells with sugar water....I just filled my second deep hive body and placed my first medium super on sunday! I to started a 3 lb package in april! Two weeks before i inspected i took notice that they was feeding 4 times as much as usual! I took them off the feed and added the medium super....They are grown up now and its time to cut the cord!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.

Yes there is a second deep in place. I guess that could be a reason that they are consuming so much. So then my plan will be to cut them off and evaluate this weekend to determine if they are filling the 2nd deep with syrup.

Thanks,

Erik

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Your second deep is on the hive, but is all the comb drawn? And is your honeyflow over? Ours is here, and now for the hives that aren't fully drawn out, I have to feed to gt them to finish drawing comb and get them ready for winter. It is not too soon to start thinking about winter preparations.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yes i would evaluate this weekend and see whats going on! That will tell ya what you will need to do! Hopefully 80% of the 2nd deep is fully drawn when you open it up! Good Luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looked at the hive today and here is what I found.
Configuration: I have two deep supers then a queen excluder and then a medium super.

The two deep supers are about 90% full of brude and honey, I would say 70 / 30 split Brude/honey, while the medium super is showing very little activity at all as in no building foundation. I was surprised to see that there is no building of foundation on the medium super, but I guess that could be due to the excluder.

What would you guys suggest, remove the excluder?

By the way the deep supers were HEAVY!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yeah they are! Thats why i have med supers...hahaha...Yes remove the queen excluder!

I was thinking about going to all mediums, i was just thinking that they would have more room for the brood area and never thought about the weight!..HAHAHA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts