Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dearly want to learn more about my bees and their fascinating lives. I am very interested in "Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping" from Wicwas Press. My worry is that it is just going to end up being another how-to beekeeping book for langs, and I don't need another one of those. Have you read it? Is it worth the pricetag?

http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Biology...d=1408071174&sr=8-1&keywords=honeybee+biology

I this vein, as I was searching for the link above I also came across these title:
http://www.amazon.com/Honeybee-Demo...d=1408072129&sr=8-2&keywords=honeybee+biology
http://www.amazon.com/The-Biology-H...d=1408072129&sr=8-3&keywords=honeybee+biology
http://www.amazon.com/The-Buzz-abou...d=1408072129&sr=8-4&keywords=honeybee+biology

Any opinions on these would also be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Honeybee Democracy by Tom Seeley of Cornell is a great book. It's about how bees figure out and solve their social organization and communication problems, specifically around the issue of searching for and choosing a new home for swarm colonies. I loved the book and it really deepened my understanding and appreciation for my bees. Since it's not about one particular management system, it would apply to the behavior of all honeybees, hived or feral.

Since you live in SLC, you might consider getting it from your Public Library to see how you like it. I just checked and there is one copy (of three) available for circulation right now. I bet you could get it faster from the Library than you could from Amazon, and best of all, it's free. If you like the the book as well as I do , then you can buy it, certain it's worth the cost of adding it to your own collection. Here's a link to the SLCPL catalogue entry for it:

http://catalog.slcpl.org/search/searchresults.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.6&type=Keyword&term=honeybee%20democracy&by=KW&sort=RELEVANCE&limit=TOM=*&query=&page=0&searchid=1

I'm putting in a big plug here for public libraries; many people seem to have fallen out of the habit of using them, but they are wonderful resources; even more so if you can use one in a city as large as SLC. (I bet there's a branch of it near where you live or work.) I live in a village in upstate NY and our tiny library has scarcely 1200 books in all. But with the advent of online catalogues and the region-wide, inter-library loan system I can sit in my house, search for books far and wide and with a few clicks get them sent directly to my village library to check out, so in effect I have the resources of a big-city library out here in the sticks. But I bet access to a city library is even more exciting, and they are sure to have many more books on beekeeping.

Enj.

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,166 Posts
Les Crowder's book is pretty good from a TBH how-to perspective. There is a lot of bee information there as well.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm putting in a big plug here for public libraries; many people seem to have fallen out of the habit of using them, but they are wonderful resources; even more so if you can use one in a city as large as SLC. (I bet there's a branch of it near where you live or work.) I live in a village in upstate NY and our tiny library has scarcely 1200 books in all. But with the advent of online catalogues and the region-wide, inter-library loan system I can sit in my house, search for books far and wide and with a few clicks get them sent directly to my village library to check out, so in effect I have the resources of a big-city library out here in the sticks. But I bet access to a city library is even more exciting, and they are sure to have many more books on beekeeping.

Enj.
I could not agree more, check out the book from the library, then you can read it and decide if it is something that you want in your permanent library!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
>Honeybee Democracy

Good book on how colonies make decisions.

>The Biology of the Honey Bee

Excellent book on honey bee Anatomy and Physiology

>The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism

Excellent book full of great pictures and interesting facts about bees.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm putting in a big plug here for public libraries
+100
This is so true. Once you have your card, most libraries now have online access and you can preorder and have them delv'd almost to your front door.
Most of them have a large supply of diffrent HoneyBee books and I'd read all I could out of there before you go buying books that may sit on a shelf. Once you've read a couple dozen, most of the info begins to repeat. Each book will have some unique information but maybe not enough to pluck down money that could be spent on bee equipment!. They also have DVD's that you can check out.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
the books from wicwas press are quite good. dr. larry connor does a supper job running this outfit. look thru and see what is best for you. tough to go wrong with this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love this book! I am probably biased though- Dewey Caron presented at our local beekeeper's meeting on April 12th of this year. (COBA- Central Oregon Beekeepers' Association). He was very knowledgeable, pleasant and great communicator. I find the book to be an excellent resource that I refer to quite frequently.

Bill

·
Registered
244 Posts
>Honeybee Democracy

Good book on how colonies make decisions.

>The Biology of the Honey Bee

Excellent book on honey bee Anatomy and Physiology

>The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism

Excellent book full of great pictures and interesting facts about bees.
Yep -- I especially enjoyed the Buzz about Bees. I'd recommend reading Honeybee Democracy first -- Seely writes this one with more of a narrative voice, telling stories of how he studies bees along with providing information. While I'd occasionally cringe at the extremeness of some study methods (e.g., cut down the tree to study the hive inside), I was also amazed at what he found out. His other big bee book, The Wisdom of the Hive, is also very good, focusing more on foraging behavior. However, this reads more like a textbook, and it took much longer to get through! I checked it out of the library since the cheapest I could find it was $68. The Buzz about Bees was truly an awesome read -- there is fascinating info in that book, and I look forward to reading it again. There's also info that fine-tunes some popular beekeeping wisdom, for example, holes in the brood pattern. Tautz has discovered that bees, like many species, are partially influenced by heat developmentally, with bees that are kept warmer more frequently becoming foragers/scouts. So, some of those holes left in the brood are actually for "warmer bees", a newly described job in bee world -- the warmer bees stick their bodies in the comb and vibrate, generating heat, and warming the cells around them. In any case, it was a really cool book, that I think will require multiple reads to really digest!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts