Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm Anabella and I'm a graduate student at Texas Tech University. I'm writing my master's report on communicating for conservation. My research seeks to examine audience perceptions of pollinator conservation on social media. Data from the survey will help inform conservation managers, social media managers and/or citizen scientists to better communicate conservation on social media.

The 14-question survey takes approximately 5 to 7 minutes to complete. If you're interested in taking my survey please find it here: https://forms.gle/tDfdCxKeeqbugMRBA

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best,
Anabella

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi Annabella, I filled out the survey. Facebook is my main social media but still, I only check in a few times a week. In my feed I seem to be the one posting info on pollinators. Beekeeping has made me very aware of the feral pollinators and I have great concern over their well being. I find more info in the media now than I did several years ago so it seems attention is drifting to this cause. I hope your career improves our world.
Lee

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I don't use social media to find any accurate information on any topic. That's not its strength. Social media tells you how people are feeling, or how people want you to feel.

In general the social media information I see on Facebook is intended to create a sense of fear or worry in people, for example by stating that bees are in danger or dying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Lee!

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete my survey, your feedback is greatly appreciated! I was introduced to beekeeping in 2015 during my undergraduate studies and made it a priority of mine to pursue science communication. Thank you for raising awareness about pollinators on your social media. I hope to learn more about beekeeping on this forum!

Best,
Anabella

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, AR1!

Thank you so much for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated. It's very true that social media can be used to spread fear, worry and even misinformation on certain topics. I hope that the data I gather from my survey will help inform conservation organizations/managers to make better decisions when crafting messages or communicating their efforts on social media.

Best,
Anabella

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
218 Posts
I’m not in the US but filled it anyway. Hope that’s ok

I’d don’t have any social media accounts whatsoever. My online interactions are email, this forum, and another bee related forum. In general I rather be away from people.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Honeyeater!

Absolutely, thank you so much for taking the time to take my survey. Your response is greatly appreciated and important to my study! I've learned through my research that forums and listservs are well-used throughout the bee/pollinator community.

Best,
Anabella

1 - 7 of 7 Posts