Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
They advertise them as being Langstroth hives. That implies their dimensionality is fixed, and I'm certain they can provide relevant internal dimensions at request...they've had to set up their manufacturing process to produce standardized items. Western cedar is durable wood--it's used as cedar 'shakes' on countless homes, and those shakes last decades, when painted.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've got two of their top bar hives and really like them. Good quality wood and holds up well from the elements. If you get a hive from them buy their tung oil to preserve the wood. I ran out of the bottle I bought from them and tried another brand. It was no where near as good as what Beethinking sells.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have some cedar hives that came with some bees I bought from someone. They are very nice boxes I'm sure they will easily out last me and my son can use them one day. But, I don't know if I would spend the extra just to buy cedar hives. If your only planning on having a few hives it might be worth the extra though. I'm sure they will last you a long time. Some pine boxes can start to get soft spots in 6-7yrs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts