Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a weak new package? I have one package where the queen released OK and laid a few eggs, but is way behind the other packages we released to the point where the workers are already producing a supercedure queen. (This would be the 12th day after hiving). My inclination is to let them go ahead with the new queen and then supplement the colony with brood from an overwintering colony to keep the population up. Sound feasible, or should I be asking the supplier for a replacement queen? Thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
It never hurts to ask for another queen. You just might get one. If you can get one, you'll get eggs in a few days. If you wait for the colony to make one, it'll be behind at least a month. Either way, continue, if you can, to add eggs from the other colony to keep your numbers up.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
It is fairly common for packages to supercede the shipped queen. If your supplier doesn't want to replace her then combine them with another of the weaker hives to make one strong hive that you can split later. That's better than two struggling hives.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I bet the problem is she needs some nurse bees. If you have the resources, shake in some nurse bees from a frame or two from stronger hives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts