Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in southwest Michigan and all the trees are green with leaves. Are the bees gathering anything useful from the trees now?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Basswood/Linden trees bloom in the Summer They are an important forage source for bees. It is interesting that they don't all bloom at the same time. I have noticed this in some woodlots where they bloom individually over a period of weeks. It probably has something to do with a 5 year cycle that sees a different level of seed production . Also there are something like 45ish varieties. Yearly weather cycles and length of daily sunlight has an influence on the timing of bloom.

https://www.treenames.net/ti/tilia/linden_tree_index.html

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I have seen bees working spruce trees very hard. Pollen or nectar? Bees here gather their main source of propolis from black poplar.
Gathering honey dew from aphids feeding on maple and oak sometimes fills the air with sound.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah yes. I forgot about the Basswood/Linden. I'm pretty sure there's none on my property, hopefully there are some nearby.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Some trees bloom before leaves, some bloom during leaf-out, some bloom after leaves are full.
In my area willow and locust just finished blooming and Russian olive is at the tail end. Catalpa is now in full bloom here and linden coming up.

Your bees will go where the bloom is within a couple miles. The trees on your property ain't the best guide of what they are foraging. Take a drive around and see what your whole area has available. You might be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I have seen bees working spruce trees very hard. Pollen or nectar? Bees here gather their main source of propolis from black poplar.
Gathering honey dew from aphids feeding on maple and oak sometimes fills the air with sound.
Non-floral honey.
Conifers produce sugary secretions that bees and wasps/yellow jackets often collect.
Good honey (bad for wintering).

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I live in southwest Michigan and all the trees are green with leaves. Are the bees gathering anything useful from the trees now?
Why, black locust is in the flow right now.
Basswoods will be in 2-3 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts