Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I have a hive that has wintered in a single 10 frame deep box. I tried to add a second box in the fall but they just weren't drawing out the frames, so I removed it for the winter and planned on putting it back on in the spring. This past weekend was in the 70's so I figured I would put on the second box. I was planning on moving 1 or 2 frames of honey from the bottom box into the second box and putting some empty frames in the bottom box to keep them from swarming.
However, when I was inspecting the frames, each one had brood or eggs on at least one side. The only frame that did look somewhat promising had the queen on it and I'm sure she was laying.
I ended up putting all of frames back in the bottom box and had undrawn frames in the second box. I didn't want to move any brood into the second box for fear losing the frame to chilled brood.
Did I do the right thing? A fellow beek told me it sounds like the hive is in swarm prep mode. I did not see any queen cells on any frame.
What can I do to get them to quickly move into the second box without killing brood? We are supposed to be back in the 20's at night for a few days.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
you were correct by not seperating out a couple frames. as soon as all that brood starts to hatch they will seem to jump into your second box. been a long winter. maybe it will finally break.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts