Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started a new hime a couple weeks ago and I completely forgot to replace the two frames that I removed to make an area to pour the bees into. I did a hive check and now there are fans of comb hanging from the lid through the empty space, and they are almost completely full of brood. I don't want my bees to be wasting all their energy building up this fan of comb (which needs to be removed obviously), but I cant just remove it with all the brood, so how am I supposed to get it out? please help me out!

Super Moderator
Welcome to Beesource!

There is a similar current thread here:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...-fix-a-buggered-install&p=1097897#post1097897

that has a photo of the rubber band method mentioned above.

(Yes, there are quite a few drone cells on the pictured frame. The photo is an illustration of how to rubber band comb into frames, not necessarily an encouragement to move drone comb. And no, I didn't take the photo.):)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
That's why I never leave a frame out if I'm putting the lid back on the hive, even if I think it's just going to be for a minute... sometimes you forget to get back and the next thing you know there is a comb there...

Registered
And, if you're transporting a hive or swarm to a new location, even from the front yard to the back yard, be sure and check the frames once you get it there and in place. Though the frames can still shift in an established colony's hivebox they're not as prone to do so because they've got the frames pretty well glued down. But, frames in a new or freshly cleaned box can fairly easily shift out of position and leave oversized gaps between them. Those gaps will also cause some bad comb situations.

When rubberbanding the comb into the frames keep the vertical orientation the same as it was originally. You will lose some brood due to the removal in installation but that is just part of the process. Afterwards, probably the next day, you will see bees hauling damaged brood out of the hive.

Welcome to Beesource. Are you a new beekeeper?

Best wishes!!!
Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts