Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspected my hive about two weeks ago and found a lot of dead bees in and outside the hive. Approximately three hundred bees remained alive.Pulled some of the frames and noticed that mold had formed on some of the capped honey. Also the frames and some of the honey had dark wet droppings on them. Yesterday I again inspected the hive and found that the remaining bees had all died including the queen. Is it possible that nosema had weakened the hive and the remaining bees died from the cold. We had several days were the temperature fell into the low 30's. The frames are full of honey. I ordered two packages of bees and was wondering if I could use the frames of honey and super for the packaged bees or should the super and frames not be used. Also can the honey from the hive that is free of mold be extracted and eaten. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
It would be safer for bees if you eat it. If it is SHB you will not want it either as the beetles defecate in the honey. When insects and animals do not want to eat something there might be a good reason.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts