Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I live in southeast Michigan and this is my very first year beekeeping. I am planning on ordering 2, 3# packages from Mountain Sweet Honey Company. The ship dates are April 16,17 & 20 or April 30, May 1. Which date would be best? Also would you recommend this company? Thanks everyone!!

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I am planning on ordering 2, 3# packages from Mountain Sweet Honey Company.
Usually package orders are placed much earlier to assure getting bees. Mountain Sweet Honey appears to have packages still available so you are in luck. I do not know how your weather is in the Spring but suspect that you will want the April 30th delivery date. You will need to feed the bees heavily when you get them so be prepared for that.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I don't mind early bees. I've shaken packages with snow coming down. As noted, you'll want to feed. I mean, it's not absolutely necessary but it sure helps a bunch. For you, order packages to come in when you'll have time to hive at your own pace. I don't mind shaking a bunch of bees in at any time but I did NOT feel that way my first year. So, order when you'll know you have some time to properly get your bees in place.

If you make your own syrup, get sugar now. With this virus going around, people are hoarding and sugar is scarce. If you have sugar ready to go before your packages arrive, you'll have one less potential headache. I just bought 200 lbs of sugar and it was hard nailing it down. Look around now and get that one off your list!

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
Hello everyone, I live in southeast Michigan and this is my very first year beekeeping. I am planning on ordering 2, 3# packages from Mountain Sweet Honey Company. The ship dates are April 16,17 & 20 or April 30, May 1. Which date would be best? Also would you recommend this company? Thanks everyone!!
Hi G, I am also in Michigan, I have a couple packages arriving early April 16th 17th time frame. I do have some comb and frames of honey to bridge the bees till the blooms start.
Ship time wise it depends on if you are OK feeding. If not go for April 30 to give a bit more time for things to warm up and bloom. If you plan to feed and have feed then the earlier the better, IMO . Time is the obstacle for you, the bees need to build up for winter, the winter will come the same date if you order early or late, So IMO more time is better. you will want to feed both Syrup and Pollen patties if you are going with the early dates. This is in the event you hive the package and it rains for a week. I see some pollen coming in now on my bees, Maple, willow and a few others will have pollen by the time your bees come in. There is a good number of keepers in SE michigan , call around or find a meeting, likely some one has pollen sub you can buy a couple doses from. I thought I saw Pollen sub at Family farm and Home but me mind slips on occasion. Do read up on hiving the package and releasing the Queen, there are several threads here on BS discussing that topic. If possible locate a mentor type to assist the hiving the first time. Hopefully you have the wooden ware, painted and a spot picked out , and leveled and ready already. :)

not sure what mountain sweet home has perhaps you can offer your experience with them here for others.
GG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi G, I am also in Michigan, I have a couple packages arriving early April 16th 17th time frame. I do have some comb and frames of honey to bridge the bees till the blooms start.
Ship time wise it depends on if you are OK feeding. If not go for April 30 to give a bit more time for things to warm up and bloom. If you plan to feed and have feed then the earlier the better, IMO . Time is the obstacle for you, the bees need to build up for winter, the winter will come the same date if you order early or late, So IMO more time is better. you will want to feed both Syrup and Pollen patties if you are going with the early dates. This is in the event you hive the package and it rains for a week. I see some pollen coming in now on my bees, Maple, willow and a few others will have pollen by the time your bees come in. There is a good number of keepers in SE michigan , call around or find a meeting, likely some one has pollen sub you can buy a couple doses from. I thought I saw Pollen sub at Family farm and Home but me mind slips on occasion. Do read up on hiving the package and releasing the Queen, there are several threads here on BS discussing that topic. If possible locate a mentor type to assist the hiving the first time. Hopefully you have the wooden ware, painted and a spot picked out , and leveled and ready already.

not sure what mountain sweet home has perhaps you can offer your experience with them here for others.
GG
Great advice! Thank you so much, I will keep you posted on the status of these bees. I’m pretty excited, but also a tad nervous since I live very close to neighbors in my sub division. Here’s hoping my 6ft fence is helpful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts