Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to see if the girls were buzzing around since it is 54 degrees and sunny. Some of the girls were out sunning themselves, in their bikinis...however after watching them a few minutes some of the girls are working. They were coming in with orangy-yellow pollen sacks full. What could be blooming this time of year for us? Everything I see is now dormant.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe since we both live in suburban areas its the winter blooming plants people are buying to fill in their flower beds. I have heard of people swapping their summer plants with some winter blooming plants and those red cabbage looking things in the winter. Looks like I am going to have to go on a scavenger hunt!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Living in a sub divison it could be Pansies. I believe Pansy pollen is a bright orange. It's probably Dandelion. Across the street from me is a fairly large park. I was over there today and there are a lot of Dandelion's blooming right now and have been for the last 2 weeks that I have noticed. Still a fairly large amount of Asters blooming over there too. Which I figured those would have be killed off by now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here in Terrell we have wild mustard blooming. The frost did not get it yet and if so it will come back in early spring in abundance. the pollen is orange/yellow. The bees gather pollen and nectar from this plant. Trinity Valley bee club in Mesquite sells seed packages for this plant. It is a good plant for winter and early spring.
Another source is pansy's and dandelion which are blooming now.
Janvanhamont

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Here in Tucson, my bees are working Creosote Bush (Larrea tridentata), which has a dark yellow - almost orange pollen. We had a few days with a little rain a few weeks ago, that inspired lots of the Creosote Bush to bloom. Some Creosote Bush plants are in bloom almost year-'round with most blooming in the early Spring. The rains have also started lots of little wildflower seedlings, if enough moisture remains in the soil, or we get some more rain those wildflowers will provide an early Spring honeyflow - we only get these Spring honeyflows about once every ten years.

·
Registered
717 Posts
When it was warmer & the bees were still foraging, I did see some on the decorative cabbages, but I don't think that is the actual bloom - which comes up as a stalk in the heat of spring. Water collects in the leaves, but my hive sits 15 feet from my 2-tiered fish pond.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My girls have been coming in with big pollen payloads. I have seen dwarf asters in the yard but I haven't seen them working them recently. But I have a large suburban area around me as well.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
A commercial beek I know near Center TX also reports his bees bringing in yellow/orange pollen, must be mustard as he is talking a lot of bees and is generally not near towns/suburbs.
Must be nice......
Sheri (sitting looking out the window at the snow)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Only thing in my part of the world is Dandelion.....been blooming about 2 weeks. Still see a little mustard but nothing else. Noticing the Elm buds starting to swell. A little warm spell in Jan and there will be LOTS of pollen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts