Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new beekeeper and this is my first spring. I got my hives in may last year. I just moved one of my hives from 10 frame to 8 frame equipment. I saw 3 frames of capped brood and some frames with open cells and honey but didn't want to take the time to look closely for eggs and larva as it is coolish. There were still about 4 frames of capped honey and some scattered bits of honey cells in the rest of the frames. There seemed to be lots of bees. Is this a good situation for this time of year? is that enough honey to see them through until the main flow in blackberry season? Any comments appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
10,457 Posts
welcome erna. congratulations for getting them through winter, sounds like they are doing great.

i can't comment about is 'normal' for your location, but after looking at my colonies last weekend i can tell you that there was a lot of difference between my weakest (2 frames of bees) and my strongest (one 10 frame deep with three medium supers on top almost full of bees), with others falling in between.

it's easier to judge if a colony is doing well if there are other similar colonies around with which to compare it.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Welcome Erna; You do not seem to be in a bad place as far as your hive growth, I would recommend feeding right up until you add supers. Unless you see a backfilling situation beginning. at which time I would quit feeding. It never hurts to feed when in doubt. The stronger the colony is the better.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I have no way to compare, but sounds like they have plenty of stores, I see no need feed. I wouldn't but thats just me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
We're in a mild Maple flow here in the Pacific Northwest, as should you be. There may be small amounts of nectar near the brood from maples that will go to feeding brood. I'm relatively close by. Many here in Whatcom and Skagit counties in Washington State are just beginning to feed 1:1 syrup to smaller hives. The temperatures are finally reaching high 50's F, and overnight lows still in the 40's F are minimal for syrup feeding. Some will feed all of their hives, regardless of size, others here just the smaller ones. Many of us run Carniolans here, and need a flow (or simulated one, in theory) to motivate our queens to get busy. I'm only feeding 4 newly hived nucs to help them settle in, and am not feeding overwintered hives that still have capped honey. With packages coming in a couple of weeks, there will be a big run on sugar at Costco as hundreds begin feeding those soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts