Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not yet checked the combs for signs of starvation, which I suspect. Four nearby Warre hives are fine. So I doubt pesticides.
IMG_20190312_150004_1552448876899.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
I had something similiar happen to a few of my hives this past year, piles of dead bees in front on the ground. I looked at the on of the Nstional Honey Show videos and an entomologist did a presentation on EFB, AFB, CBPV. What I thought was a pesticide kill was CBPV. She talked briefly on the causes which fit exactly with my weather this past year. Lots of rain, big colonies being kept inside the hives, where they are rubbing up against each other, breaking their hairs which makes them susceptible to viruses. So, CA is getting lots of bad weather and bees are inside hives. Just a thought.Deb

·
Registered
906 Posts
We had two hives do that, one a lot of dead bees on the bottom board, a handful of bees and a queen alive.
The other hive, dead bees on the bottom board, but still a good amount of bees in the hive and a laying queen.

Both hives had a lot of food, capped honey and sugar blocks that they were eating up.
So far wet larvae, in all the hives, not much capped brood, this spring/winter has been wet and cold.

6 of the nine hives we looked at are packed with bees, two a bit lighter, one in trouble. All are bringing in greenish pollen. I put pollen patties in all of the hives. Putting a container of dry pollen out for open feeding if they want it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Not sure where you guys are in the bloom cycle but some nectar is poisonous. In our area Yellow Jasmine will kill off foragers. Thankfully, this year the yellow Jasmine is blooming at a time that there are better nectar producing plants so we aren't seeing the die off like we have the past two years.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
odfrank....ok...confession time. It takes about a minute to check. Starvation....right?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Had to be. I starved a nuc this week and it looked just like that. Bummer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts