Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a bee drag this out of a split I made a week ago. Do you think It is caused by the split? Is it a virus? It has fully formed wings so I dont thin its dwv. 20200612_163126.jpg 20200612_163115.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Deformed Wing Virus doesn't always cause the bee to have deformed wings. It could be any of the several viral diseases that bee colonies are subject to developing. It could also be caused by insufficient feeding when the bee was a larva, or both.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think that's usually caused by a mite malnourishing the bee to a point where it doesn't grow normally.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, it could have been due to not enough nurse bees or is it more than likely mites? I did see queen cells in the split and decided to shake another frame and add another brood frame with bees. It's my first split so I'm hoping it works out.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think what is meant, is that a bee larvae the has mites sucking on it while it is in development might hatch out as a runt. Mites are quite large in comparison to the bee. So If a bee has 2-3 mites sucking the life out of it ....well you get the picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts