Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order a few 8 frame mediums, but am thinking of buying deeps (unassembled) instead, assemble, and cut them down to size. I'd use the cut-off sections to make a few Winter quilt boxes and maybe a couple of spacers. Are there any other suggestions as to what hive accessories can be made from these slightly less than 3" deep cut-off's? Is it worth the few bucks extra cost so that I'll have finger jointed rectangles to start with? Has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have and suspect many have when they cut down deeps to mediums. Many uses for the rims. I only do that when I cut existing stock, not buy deeps to cut. Very easy to make all the rims/shim-boxes/ etc with plain old butt joints and glue/nail. So I'd save the $'s and use it elsewhere for your bee needs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As I run all 3/4 boxes, I do the same as Paulemar and buy full depth boxes and cut them down to 3/4, usually before assembly, and use the off cuts for a number of uses. 1.I use slatted racks on all my hives and the off cut is perfect for those. 2.I make up top feeders using a plastic waterproof material and a center hole. 3. With a piece of fly screen stapled on to it, it makes a number of useful items for protecting the supers form wax moth and ****roaches during storage and ventilation during hives in transport.
How many more can you think of?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts