Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this up with some other issues on the other hive but I cannot fig out what happened to a

Have two hives with a split in late July and installed a BeeWeaver queen in the split.
NO problems The BW queen does not seem to lay as well as the Baton Rogue queen but it was the end of the season.
Worked the bees with long sleeves, pants and surgical gloves. Easy going bees for both hives.

Month ago I flipped double deep boxes on each hive. Bottom box heavy and top box lite in weight. Lots of bees and brood. Both hives were aggressive. I figured it was just the day and time of year.
I got back into town 3 weeks later and went to ck bees for swarming and the BR box is full of bees but calm and workable as always the three times I went into them.

The Bee Weaver box is scary aggressive. I did a full survey removing queen cells and splitting the Baton Rogue box to set a nuc up for a spare queen. I opened up the box on the BW and had 50-100 bees all over me before I got the first frame out. I jeans slshirt and coveralls on. I was eat up. Bees getting up under the pants and stinging thru the cheap hood where ever it touched my neck or face as I worked. I had to go to the house 70 yards and clean bees off and tape the pant legs and put on a hat and neck cover before I could work bees. I had bees follow me out 100 yards still sting all over. Back out and lots of bees, capped brood, and some eggs and larva. Killed the queen cells and put the box back together still with bees all over stinging the whole time. There is not bumping or aggressive flying just attacking. I was out cleaning up the area yesterday (had a quick hood on) ;) Straightened up the top super and move it 1/2 inch and the bees were fogging out from that little movement. I had 10 or 15 on me just from that.

What happened? I can see certain days where the bees all have pms but not this bad and everytime you get out there on multiple days.
I live close to Houston and have feral bees but I did not do the split till the first of August and add the queen.

It is a strange time. I had bees in the old days 70-80's when it was simple. Why did they go mean. July I had a big yellow queen and after swarm try to get into my good hive. I unrolled the fist sized ball and there she was on the landing board but before I could catch her she was jumped on and killed. Never seen that before.

Opinions? Ideas? Help?

Requeen asap is the plan but what do you think caused the problem? JIm

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
answer : BeeWeaver queen in the split, had them 20 years ago b/4 they were fully africanized, spent 5 years getting rid of them, they really don't like to be requeened, was offered some out of canada recently, probably nice bees, I got in the truck and went home and hid in the closet until the guy went home.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I had heard from a buddy that they had some hot queens a few years ago but to be almost as calm as my Baton Rogue (BR) bees to this bad is a jump for the same queen and fall to spring.

I like being able to go watch bees and work them in neoprene gloves and thin pants and shirt with very little smoke. Not double covered with hat under hood and my old heavy duty gloves I had back from the 70's and tapeing my pants down plus having to hose mist bees to be able to get into the house 70 yards away. When I was jumped I let bees in the house when I put the dogs in the house because the following bees ate up the dogs too. I do not want to be like Don the Fat Beeman said about not bbqing bees with the smoke. Heavier smoke does not affect these bees much.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Similar experience with bw queen i live in the same area as you the queens from bw queens can be hot I did some searching here and found it mentioned several times. There’s some interesting conversations on them

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Are you sure the BW queen wasn't superceded last fall? I wonder if the colony might have replaced the queen late in the season and the new queen mated with some not so desirable drones. That might explain the extreme difference in temperament. A whole new set of worker bees now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not know. I had bees in the simple times 60s, 70s, 80s, and early 90s. In those days all you had to do was not screw up and damage your hives.

In the new era I have had bees for less than a year and it is far more work and effort than back then.

She could have been replaced. The first time I heard about a queen trying to get in the hive was Nancy mentioned last spring. Then to have one in August was very interesting.

Have a great weekend. I have to go ck on cows this weekend.

I have been a dentist for 43 years so I am always asking why or how when I do not understand what is going on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts