Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a hive from a wall. The queen is bright red like the color of a red wasp. workers are a mix of colors some black some yellow. just never seen a bright red queen.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
One that runs around yelling "Off w/ her head!!"

I have no idea. Is it red like cordovan shoe polish?

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Don't know but has echoes of a childrens tongue twister... What breed of bee would a red queen bee? LOL

Could it be a cordovan? The colour manifests different when it occurs in breeds other than Italian. The "bright" red may partly be due to the way you perceived it, that can happen.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know but has echoes of a childrens tongue twister... What breed of bee would a red queen bee? LOL

Could it be a cordovan? The colour manifests different when it occurs in breeds other than Italian.

i looked up Russian and cordovan the cordovan looks just like it. are cordovan bees good the hive seem very gentle. hive was full of honey but didn't see a lot of pollen.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Any strain of bee can produce cordovan queens, I believe. It's a genetic variation in color. I don't know if any behavioral characteristics pair to the color.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Is there anyone who owns one of these queens, who also owns a camera?

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Is there anyone who owns one of these queens, who also owns a camera?
Hahahaha, no kidding. "Bright Red" does not describe Cordovan or even a red wasp to me. I think fire engine when I hear "bright red". Not the golden color of a Cordovan queen.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ive had several of them I just didnt they were anything special. Ive got a camera. Ill try to get a shot of one. Im not talking about cordovan color. I rarely ever see a cordovan colored bee in my hives. I seen a few drones the other day in one hive that were cordovan. These Red colored queens are not Cordovan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts