Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a single frame observation hive to bring to schools/meetings etc. This is not a hive where bees come and go, just one in which I plan to borrow a frame from one of my hives in the morning and return it the same night. Do I want to make sure not to take the queen? Frame of brood?

Half honey half brood? Any advice on these type observation hives would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
A frame with honey,pollen, open brood,capped brood and empty cells so the queen you take with has a place to lay. With a frame consisting of all that your audience can observe everything on that 1 comb.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By taking the queen with will my Full strength hive begin making queen cells now that they're queenless? Or in the 5 or 6 hours the queen is gone, will they just give a sigh of relief when I bring her back home?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
the queen is quite fragile and easy to damage if you jostle her around too much taking the OB hive somewhere. good luck,mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice! I left some room in the bottom of the hive, do you think it'd be good to put a wet cloth or towel for them to get a drink if needed? I do get worried about bringing the queen as I'd hate to have a little jostling squash a prized bug! But it would be more fun for the group to observe all the castes of bees. :shhhh:

·
Registered
96 Posts
elkridge,
I have a 3 frame (2 deeps, 1 medium) observation hive that I used at the farmer's market last year selling section honey. I alternated between the hives I used each week using about 6 hives total over around 10 weeks. I had good luck returning the queens to the hives except twice. One time the queen flew off amd never came back. The other time her hive balled her. These were all well established hives and fully productive queens. The frames were removed at 5:45 AM and returned at 1:30 PM. This year I'm keeping a queen and bees in the hive with an outside entrance I'll close off for market and a feeding jar to use at the market. Don't feel like taking the risk again.
Arvin

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
There is always some risk involved. I would take the queen along. Take a so-so queen in it so if something happens to it no big deal. Pull it in the morning, put it back asap.

Kingfisher

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks once again. This is my first ob hive experience as well as the first meeting among some beekeepers which happens to be at the town public library. This is the virgin run for the homemade hive. I sure hope it doesn't open up and disturb all the readers;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts