Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
:) In southern NY, that would be, No. 1 Clover and No. 2 Goldenrod, w/ No. 3 being Aster, I believe. :)

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Tulip poplar is my #1 (and sometimes only) honey producing plant.

Kinda difficult to plant it though. Takes years for it to fully establish.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Around my home in Hacienda Heights California I have Purple Sage brush and Red Apple ground cover. They both bloom most of the summer and the bees love them.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
tulip poplar, holly, blackberry, clover, sourwood. None are consistant yearly.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
"We get a strong surplus flow when the privets bloom in June-July."

What does Privet honey taste like? There is a lot of the plant near me and the flowers stink - what about the honey?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I live off a prarie in Illinois and my top plants are milkweed, thistle, and goldenrod. For trees my top producers are linden and black locus.

·
Registered
190 Posts
"We get a strong surplus flow when the privets bloom in June-July."

What does Privet honey taste like? There is a lot of the plant near me and the flowers stink - what about the honey?
I would also like to know what privet honey tastes like. A friend of mine who just moved into a new house this past year told me that the bushes (which she has been told is some unknown specie of privit) at her new house were loaded with bees this Summer and they are still blooming. She was going to try to start some shoots for me to plant so that I could have try to plant it and have it for me bees to forage on next year, so I am curious as to what the honey might tastes like. (....Not that I have gotten to harvest any yet anyways... 4 years and still waiting.)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Here in the Fraser Valley, southern BC, the top 4 would be maple, blue berries, black berries/raspberries (blackberries most common, it's a weed), clover. Wild cherries and dandilions fortify the maples and fireweed from mid july to end of summer if your willing to move em' to the mountians. The fireweed is by far the best producer given the right year while the clover is the best in the valley.
Most of our flows here overlap each other and very seldom will there be a break or dearth. If not moved to the blueberries there will be a 4-6 week period where there will be very little or just enough for them to earn a living.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts