Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a paper wasp nest in my tree. Tthe wasps are black and white.. i have 3 big pussy willows on the side of my house. They have not given pollen since April so the tree is just a bush with leaves. These wasps have been all over the 3 bushes. There has to be 50 to 100 wasps on each bush. I can not figure out why.

Attachments

Registered
Disreguard what they are doing and flame thrower those things! lol Just kidding!

Registered
Check for aphids or other tiny insects. Looks like 鈥榞alls鈥 on the leaves in the photos. Usually those are where tiny insects are incubating. Possibly some honeydew being produced which would attract wasps, particularly this time of year. Had a similar situation last year on my Burr Oaks.
Brian

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check for aphids or other tiny insects. Looks like 鈥榞alls鈥 on the leaves in the photos. Usually those are where tiny insects are incubating. Possibly some honeydew being produced which would attract wasps, particularly this time of year. Had a similar situation last year on my Burr Oaks.
Brian
Not all leaves but alot do have scale. Its bumps on the leaves. They are all over like honey bees on a bowl of 1:1. You can hear the buz there are so many on it. Everytime i walk past i have to duck down so i dont hit any. And i just look and see whats going on.

Registered
Those are Bald Faced Hornets, they eat yellow jackets. We have them here, and I watched with interest as one had a fight with a yellow jacket, then proceeded to eat it. Was really neat to watch. They can have HUGE nests.

Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
Those are Bald Faced Hornets, they eat yellow jackets. We have them here, and I watched with interest as one had a fight with a yellow jacket, then proceeded to eat it. Was really neat to watch. They can have HUGE nests.
Yep, and JohnM got it right regarding building materials. I had a lilac bush darn near killed from the hornets girdling the bark.The hornets eat bees too so I do not have much use for them. Eradicate.

Registered
You dangled that 'They.' I know yellow jackets can have huge nests. Is that also true of the BF hornets?

Registered
You dangled that 'They.' I know yellow jackets can have huge nests. Is that also true of the BF hornets?
Sorry, BF Hornets, were the 'they', was in a hurry. Yes, BF Hornets can have huge nests.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts