Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in eastern Iowa, 2nd year beekeeping. We have a very good clover crop going, on my several acres and in the horse pastures adjacent. However, unlike last year, when the clover bloomed my bees were covering them. I wandered all around today and saw no bees on the clover, on my property or in the pastures. Bees are very active in both hives, however, coming and going. I see a little pollen being brought in but just wonder what they might be working on now. There are so many things blooming now but they must be bringing in more nectar than pollen?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
just passed through your area and the locust trees are in full bloom,so that may be it.remember they fly up to 3 miles so they may be working numerous different plants. bet that wind last few days has been hard on'em. good luck,mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're likely right about the trees. I never knew, before keeping bees, how much trees area pollen source. And not fruit trees. Though our apple and cherry trees had great blossoms this spring, I saw few honeybees on them. Also my blueberries likewise had bumblebees but no honeybees. So my goal to increase my pollination with the honeybees so far hasn't worked, but I guess they are helping pollinate something!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
they work different plants at different times of the day too so its hard to tell for sure unless one plant has a really strong flow. trees are also are great nectar source. good luck,mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts