Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to requeen two hives

One swarmed but mean bees and I did not get rid of queen cells at the time so I need to kill new queen and put in frame from calm hive with eggs.

What are the best ways to dump the bees and find the queen to kill when you can Not find her in the hive exam with a bunch pissed bees?

Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The queen is taller than the other bees. Not just longer, she is taller. So before you lift a frame, sight down the plane of the comb on the side closest to you. Then as you tip the frame back and pull it out, sight down the top plane of the comb, and simultaneously down the plane of the comb of the frame adjacent to it. Look for bees standing tall. You still need to look at the comb, but this technique often works for me to find the queen. It doesn't always work, but it is another trick you can use and it adds virtually no time.

If that doesn't help you find her, shake all the frames through an excluder.

If you have a nuc I suggest you move the queen to it until after the successful requeening. Should requeening fail you have a backup to fall back to.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Move the hive. Put a frame from the hive you want to use in a new hive in the same spot. Flyback split with a gene switch. Make the body look similar; two deep for two deep even if the top is just empty over an inner cover.
Worry about the kill after a laying queen.

Maybe a double nuc set up to double your chances or results.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
If I have a really nasty hive and need to find the queen I'll put queen excluders between each box and come back a week or so later. Then separate each box and find the one with eggs, where the queen will be. Narrows it down a little bit so you don't have to go through every frame in the whole hive. If you let the boxes sit for a little while after separating them sometimes you can tell by their behavior which one has the queen in it. If you have narrowed it down to one box with eggs and still can't find her, then shake off all the bees over an excluder as suggested. That's my last choice after everything else fails. It's not a pleasant experience shaking bees off of frames with an extremely defensive hive, but it works.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
I’ve read (but darn if I can remember where) that if you put an excluder on top of the hive then an empty box over the excluder topped off with a lid, then heavily smoke the hive, the queen can be found in many instances right under the excluder.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
http://bushfarms.com/beesqueenspotting.htm

I would set all the boxes off on a bottom board and then work through the frames one at a time and put them in an empty box on the original bottom board. Don't smoke heavily. If you are desperate and have time, put an excluder between each box and come back in four days and look for eggs. The queen is in the box with eggs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts