Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bees are bringing in huge pollen pelllets and nectar. But I have not idea where they are getting it. Everything blooming around me is not being worked. Including Redbud, apple, crabapple and holly bushes which are normally being covered with bees. These observations have been taken over the last 3 or 4 days.

See below:

M'boro, TN

Redbud (Saw 2 bees)
Apple (Saw 1 bee)
Crabapple (Not working)
Purple Plum (Not working)
White clover (Not working)
Plaintain (Not working)
Lilac (all colors) (Not working)
Holly bush (Saw maybe a dozen on a lot of bushes)
Pin Oak (Not working)
Pecan (Not working)
Red Maple (Not working)
Iris (Not working)
Dogwood (Not working)

All of the below are still in full bloom and bees are not working them. When I say full bloom I mean that they are blooming profusely everywhere.

Tulips
Creeping Phlox
Creeping Vinca
Dandelions
Chickweed
Henbit
Annual Bluegrass
Deadnettle

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I see lots I think they should be working but not many bees. Holly seems to be getting some attention, along with henbit. Although henbit's about done. At my Grandma's in Alabama I saw TONS of bees working ground ivy. So many that I am thinking of planting ground ivy at my house. Complete sacrilege for a landscaper...lol.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Different plants will present nectar at different times of day. For example squash and pumpkins will present nectar in early morning until about mid day. Cucumbers will present in early afternoon, bees will quickly learn this pattern and shift forage areas to take advantage.
With such abundant nectar in your area, check known nectar sources at different times of the day and see if you see them.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been checking at different times as I know that nectar and pollen peaks are not at the same time of day for plants.

But when have you heard of bees not on redbud, dandelion, apple, crabapple and holly?

The link showed the best nectar plants for my state and most of them are not listed at major. But the plants that are major I haven't seen in bloom.

Anyway, I have thousands and thousands of foragers coming and going from my 8 hives in the backyard and basically not seeing any bees. Seeing only 10 - 20 bees total on all of these different flowers is really dumbfounding. What are the odds?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I didn't see any mention of LOCUS TREES which are a major early honey flow in the northeast. I've yet to see dandilions locally so I'm still waiting. After locus comes honeysuckle and autum olive bushes and then they tend to swarm because the hive is full! (mid-late May) Followed by rassberry in June and then the BIG flow of BASSWOOD TREES about July 4th. Oh thats about the same as giant sweet clover time
HOPE YOU NEW BEEKS ARE KEEPING YOUR OWN CALENDER OF BLOOM DATES!:D As well as hive records.

·
Registered
136 Posts
we have multiple blossoms including peach, dandelion, and dogwood on 8 acre lot, but yesterday evening the cherry blossoms were by far the most preferred by honey and bumblebees. everything else was mostly being ignored.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Click on your state and you`ll get a listing of what blooms where and when and whether or not it is a major source.
Nice idea, and I did look at it, but over a decade of noting what blooms when tells me THAT data is about as worthless as drones in the winter. IMHO
Nothing personal there folks but I know better than to think I'll see dandilions in February, apple in March or basswood in May.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting discussion. We have several hollies that were just buzzing in years past, so we thought for sure our new bees would be all over them this week. There are many different types of insects on the hollies now, but no honey bees, mostly wasps, yellow jackets and a small black & white bee type flier. We've been curious about this.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Saw some wisteria blooming today. Stopped at the house and looked. Plenty of bees on the flowers........Bumble Bees. Locust hasn't started up yet. I was looking for locust. Maybe tomorrow I can go down the street into the woods and look a little better for blooming locust. I have 1 cherry tree with a few blooms and the house next door has 2 cherry trees. Never saw the first bee on any of them. Other bee like flyers pollinated them (as well as the plum trees in both yards). Saw a few bees today gathering some pollen from the Jap maple by the front window. Not many but a few. I see the bees leave the hives and they go up and head out at about a 30 degree angles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts