Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today’s weather in my area was sunny, 66 degrees F, and very windy (40+ mph gusts). The bees were kind of clustering in the front of the hive at first, but then began hanging out by the back of the hive. The wind was coming from the front of the hive, so maybe they wanted to be outside and moved to the back to be protected from the wind? Also, why would there be that many bees outside clustering like that when it’s not even 70 degrees out?
Apiary Wood Rectangle Pollinator Asphalt
Plant Rectangle Wood Gas Apiary

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
That's just a few bees sun bathing. They want to soak up the sun's warmth without the wind blowing them around.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Girl talk I'd bet...They are ready to go and probably brooding up. Time to make final preps before the flow starts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I reverse the brood boxes? I heard I shouldn’t do that until it is consistently warm out, like Mid-April to May. We also won’t have any major flows until about May.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Why do you want to reverse your boxes? What benefit do you intend to gain? The answers will tell you when or if reversing the boxes is appropriate. I would think it is still a little early in IA. Hint, what is in the middle and bottom box? Is the top box getting full of capped brood and the queen has not moved down on her own?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually haven’t been able to really pull out any frames and do an inspection yet. This weekend will be 70 degrees, so I will know the answers to those questions soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.