Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View My Video

I visited an old vacant house where I am going to remove a massive hive about sundown. Outside the main hive entrance, rows of bees were moving foreward a few steps, and then backwards a few steps. They were NOT flapping their wings, so it would not seem to circulate air to cool the hive. Their heads were down the whole time. Has anyone seen this behavior?

·
Registered
351 Posts
View My Video

I visited an old vacant house where I am going to remove a massive hive about sundown. Outside the main hive entrance, rows of bees were moving foreward a few steps, and then backwards a few steps. They were NOT flapping their wings, so it would not seem to circulate air to cool the hive. Their heads were down the whole time. Has anyone seen this behavior?
Looks like they're cleaning the front porch. I've seen my girls do that and they're typically using their tongues in the process. Maybe licking up pollen dust or something?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That is called "Washboarding" .. There are many theories about why they do it, however none proven to be fact that i've heard or read.. All bees do it at some point..

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I've heard this described. I'd pay MONEY to catch it while my video camera was handy. This sounds just too cool for words.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts