Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you tell me what are the best books on Beekeeping and about Bees and how they work and communicate ?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I like the new First Lessons in Beekeeping for a beginning beekeeper. One thing that sets it apart is that it was rewritten in 2007. It contains a bit more updated information than many of the others and is relatively inexpensive...around $9. Plus...I've got several 'cameo' photos in it. The best is the picture of a fellow, in winter, tapping on the side of a hive to see if the bees are still alive. You can only see his bald head......guess who? And there are several photos of my hands. I'm a real celebrity!!!!!

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
If you're interested in a book which describes/explains how bees "work and communicate" there are several... including of course the classics.

Some of the books can be bought used for just a few dollars:

"Bees: Their Vision, Chemical Senses, and Language"
by Karl Von Frisch
Other books by Von Frisch will cost more.

"The Honey Bee"
by James L Gould, Carol Grant Gould
A really nice little book with a lot of info and great pictures.

Some books are not cheap, and you may want to borrow them.
"The Wisdom of the Hive: The Social Physiology of Honey Bee Colonies"
by Thomas D Seeley
"The Wisdom of the Hive" is full of scatter-grams and charts and is not a fast read... although it is fascinating.

Here is a list of "Book" threads:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2649012&pp=25

Once you've read everything that's available in North America I would suggest that you look to IBRA .

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It's quite possible that your local library could have some of those books. That might ease the pain on the pocketbook.
Lexington has a great library. As said above, check your library. If they don't have it, they may be able to borrow it from another library. (Moved to TN from Irmo.)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If you want a book on communication and don't want to go $100+ for Seeleys book try to find "Pheromones of social bees" by J.B. Free.

dickm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts