Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well , I got lucky and my one hive has requeened itself succesfully:thumbsup:. The queen showed up in the hive yesterday when I checked and there was still no eggs so I figure she hadnt been back long. I needed to change out 3 frames so I did and I left them on top of the hive in a super that was placed on top of the telescoping cover with no cover over the 3 frames. The frames had nothing in them from what I could see and I can normally see eggs in the hive. This morning about 9 I go out to look at my hive like always and there is a cluster of bees in the frames on top of the hive. I pull a frame out and look and the queen is there and I see eggs in some of the cells:scratch:. The maximum amount of time she could have been out there was about 16 hours but I believe its probably less.

Now the big question!!

Do the bees inside the hive think they are queenless (there where no eggs to be found inside the hive) and when I put the queen back in the hive will they kill her or do they know that was their queen and it was buisness as usual?:scratch:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I believe in texas you may be in swarm season so before moving the bee's and queen on top make sure you don't have a queen down below and that you didn't just catch a swarm.

If all looks good move the frames back down with queen and bee's and you should be good to go. Good chance when your new queen returned from a mating flight she landed on the frames outside of the colony. If it is your new queen there should not be any problems.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
PUzzled over this thread last night for a while and elected to pass. The timing of nest scouting wouldn't seem to support a swarm moving in overnight. A recently mated virgin could return to the top, but she wouldn't normally be able to lay on her first day back. You saw the queen below before you moved the empty frames up - surely you didn't move the Q up. What does that leave? A puzzle!!

In answer to your question, have added their queen back to colonies when they have been separated for a week or more with no problems.

Memory test: Does the queen upstairs LOOK like the queen you saw below?
Walt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts