Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
There could what is called "washboarding", although it is hard to tell from a still pic. Also looks like the bees have to come outside because the entrance is too small to allow good ventilation and cooling. The aggression is probably not related to either of those, but most likely because the flow is over. Although should also consider the possibility that the hive has requeened itself and the new queen has mated with less desirable drones, and could possibly be less desirable herself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a new nuc this year. They requeened themselves pretty much right away when I moved it into the hive. Once she got going they have filled up 2 deeps and are working hard on a medium already. When they were rebuilding I had an issue with robbers so I closed it up a bit. I've been nervous to open it up but I'm sure it's big enough now to fend them off.

They come back just covered in pollen. If the flow is over what do I do if anything? I'm new this year so appreciate any help!

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
OK well if there has been robbing, yes best keep the entrance small. Robbing also can cause bees to become very aggressive.

Very often colonies that get robbed have a varroa mite problem (which for a new beekeeper is often very difficult to detect), so would pay you to ensure the mites are reduced to near zero before winter. Apivar strips are an effective and simple to use mite treatment, highly recommend for a newby.

I don't know if your flow is over, just, it's one cause of aggression, so i suggested it as a possibility that's all.

What is washboarding? Check this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxjc4tSKJFs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats pretty cool. I've never seen that before. The aggression is new, maybe a few weeks, and the robbing has been over for some time. I did a varroa check about 8 weeks ago. Found zero. Im going in again this weekend.

Could they be bearding? Just on the front of the hive? It has been pretty dang hot lately.

Thank you for the treatment recommendation. Fingers crossed I dont need it!

·
Registered
457 Posts
These foragers literally have nothing to do right now, and if they go in the hive, they will just warm it up more and make everyone uncomfortable. My bees are all doing this with the hot weather we have been having.

·
Registered
111 Posts
chad2nelan, your profile doesn't say where you are located. That information always helps when asking a question.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I see testy colonies that are normally tame when there's no flow or when they are preparing to swarm. Then there are times when a colony just gets fighting mad about everything and they need re queening. I haven't had one of those for a few years.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My bees didn't like it when I closed down their entrance, making it much narrower, when there was robbing. So, I followed this youtube idea to make a robbing screen that still allows for normal hive ventilation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hRotUHKXYM

It helped with the aggression of my bees.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts