Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New beekeeper here. Had the bees for 5 days now ....bought a Russian nuc and a Carnolian nuc.....they are currently housed in a (separate <G>) ten frame, deep super with a top feeder. The Carnolian nuc was busting at the seams ...alot of bees.

I've watched them everyday and today they are doing something new.

It is hot and humid today...91 ish. Some breeze, hives are in partial shade. The Russian hive is acting like they have been, bees in and out. The Carnolian hive is very very active, lots of workers seem to be hovering outside the hive in the air.....other workers coming and going from the hive, seems like their hum is louder also but it doesn't seem to be an angry sound. Are they hot, distressed or is this normal?

Thanks!

LaRae

·
Registered
158 Posts
You may be seeing orientation flights. New Bees will fly faceing the hive in ever larger circles to mark the location.

Bill S

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill.....

Why did they wait so long after being here to start doing these flights??

LaRae

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is there something new in bloom during the last day or so that would motivate more foragers to leave the hive in preference to taking the syrup?

It is interesting how different two colonies can be, even sitting side by side.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Not saying this is happening, but the russian hive *may* be robbing the Carniolan hive...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BeeBear that is possible....I even noticed a new purple (wild) flower had bloomed out by the bees since yesterday.

I just re-checked them and they are now back to 'normal'.

LaRae

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bran I don't see anything that looks like robbing....no agressive actions, no fighting, no dead bees.

LaRae

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know how long it lasted...but after I first saw it, rechecked in 30 min, they were back to 'normal' (whatever that is!).

I went into the hives this morning for the first time since I got them home (this is day 6)...everything appears to be progressing ok.

They are just starting to work on the SC (they came on LC foundation) and of course things are looking interesting <G>. The 5 frames they came on are all but full and very heavy...can't believe how heavy those frames are.

Saw uncapped brood, pollen, honey and all bees looked good, no weak looking bees in either hive. Did see what appears to be capped drone cells, rounded caps, in the Russian hive.

Didn't see any queen cells in either hive.

The hives were amazingly calm/tolerant. I smoked my hands (no gloves) and bee brush/hive tool. Didn't smoke in the hive though.

I'm using hive top feeders and the Russian hive had eaten all theirs, the Carnolian hadn't really touched theirs...so I flipped the syrup to the Russian hive. Will get more sugar today/tomorrow and make up new syrup for both hives.

One thing the Russian hive had done was build some comb inbetween the bottom halves of the top feeders plastic inserts...open comb, nothing in there so I scraped it off.

Another thing I did was separate the lc frames from the 'cluster' they were in and inserted the sc frames.

LaRae

1 - 9 of 9 Posts