Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im watching my OBS hive and see bees most of the way into built comb - only there rear end is sticking out. They seem to stay in there a long time.

Anyone know what they are doing??

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
They build it, clean it, plolish it with propolis, feed the brood in it (when it's too small for you to see), store honey and pollen in it, take honey and pollen out of it, all requiring them to climb in and out.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sounds like a good thing to me. Like MB said they are just doing there thing.Lottrs of bee butts this time of year is good.Just think of it as a good play being called in the the huddle.Then hope they dont play for an ohio team lol.
Bob

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK... Heres a picture of the bees inside the comb. They seem to be in there for hours

http://oregonsparkie.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by oregonsparkie (edited May 31, 2004).]

·
Registered
257 Posts
if bees are starving they will die with there heads face-in the cells
do they have food?
ARE they starving?
i myself dont usually see so many 'butts' in the air but you do have an observation hive compared to my outside hives, might be a difference/might not be??
Deanna

·
Registered
51 Posts
oregonsparkie,

my bees do the same thing and i did some research that indicated all of the above but added that they will often do that to 'rest' not sleep but rest.

ken

------------------
Good friends are sweet as honey. Winnie the Pooh
http://honeybeesonly.com

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dee,

There seem to be plenty of honey and syrup in the comb.

Do bees sleep at all??
Ive looked at them at all hours of the night and they are always moving.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Oregonsparkie,
The hive looks like a stretched version of the plans here on Beesource. I built that one and have a few suggestions. It's hard to make the frames sit equidistant from the glass. I added strips to the frames so they touch the glass on both sides.
Since I want to see them coming and going (and feeding), I cut the bottom corners off the bottom frame and rebraced them.
By now you've probably braced the hive so it doesn't fall over. I've watched them deal with chalkbrood; watched a new queen being made from a larvae. If you discover a way to get them to clean the glass, let me know. I used plastic but wish I'd gone for real glass. I think it would stand up to scrapeing w/a razor blade better.
Because the exit goes to my front walk I put a 4' length of vertical (1 1/2") PVC so the exit would be high. Bees negotiate this (with 2 ells) very well.
The pix are great. Good luck with it.

Dickm

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dickm:
yes I built my OBS hive based on the plans from this web site. I just increased the height to accomodate 5 deep frames instead of 3.

James Urbisl:
I have never really made anything big out of wood so Im proud of how this turned out. Electricians generally make good wages when you work. I do industrial/commercial electrical work. Since the economy is bad Ive only worked 4 months out of the last 16 month. Hopefully things will pick back up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts