Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am down in In Livingston Texas working for a comm. beekeeper and have been involve with hundreds of splits feeding and and checking better than a thousand new split and 1600 parent hives. I must say it is one of the most enjoyable work areas I have been in you see and under so much more when you have so many to compare. And one of the toughest jobs I have done. i think i am hooked for life. Be going back north in a few days to the family and farm but I know I have found a life long occupation/fasination My hat is off to all you commercial beekeepers. theres a lot to it but what a thrill...

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Who ya working for? Mark Brady? Drop of a few splits at exit 253 on your way North. :D

Good to hear you're hooked. Good job and good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
For a farmer to say something is a lot of hard work - really means it.
In an unstable economy it is always a good idea to have experience in multiple things - always be able to turn to something when the other isn't paying.

My dad worked for a keeper in texas for a summer when he was a teenager. He used to tell us about it.

Glad you are able to do work you enjoy.

Mike

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Glad you gained the experience and knowledge, must have been a good time.

·
Registered
869 Posts
As I continue to try and grow the into an actual operation, I gotta say that I'm jealous of your experince! Congrats, I'm really happy for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm Home, That was the best way to really get to know the bee biz. I started on April 19 and went through May 20th did a 64 hr. 48 hr 50 hr 65 hr and 48 hr weeks made good money and have done every thing from make a 1000 splits,feed 30,000 gallons of corn syrup stack load truck with the hummerbee (the only way to go )move to new yards, requeen with cells and mated queens, check backs, double up the strong early splits, fight the robbers, feed some more, and square up the yards for the move north, .We loaded bees all night in heavy rain thunder lightning and wind not a very good day but nice to have it under the belt I.ll get some pics up and maybe a vidieo or two when I get settled in.

P.S. I am available for part time bee work anywhere, anytime. If it becomes needed. John Hargrave Have a great sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Now you know why we get ticked when the packers only want to pay $1.30 per lb. Little different then running a few hobby hives huh? :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts