Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends, my bees made it through their first winter with me, and their numbers are good. Brood pattern looks good.

I did have ventilation trouble over the winter, and it was so cold that as far as I can tell they didn't take their first cleansing flight until March 11. There was mold on the walls and outer frames (and on the pollen patty I left, oops!), so I pulled out the outer frames to clean them up and get the girls building new frames for their upcoming split. This frame is one of them. There is something dark in the bottom of some cells. I can't see any other signs of foul brood, but I'm paranoid and inexperienced. What am I looking at?

·
Registered
203 Posts
We had an awful winter in Ontario. Some of my hives had the worst dysentery I've ever seen this year. Often people think of nosema when they see dysentery in the hive, but we had so few cleansing flight days and my entrances got blocked so the bees were pooping inside. This looks relatively light to me.

I had my first case of foul brood this winter, but I'm reasonably sure that's not what we are looking at in the photo. It looks like maybe it's not fully drawn out, and the light colour suggests that this comb was probably never used for brood.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had an awful winter in Ontario. Some of my hives had the worst dysentery I've ever seen this year. Often people think of nosema when they see dysentery in the hive, but we had so few cleansing flight days and my entrances got blocked so the bees were pooping inside. This looks relatively light to me.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess I can't blame the girls for not being able to hold it all winter!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
JRG is correct, that is a honey frame, not a brood frame. It could be pollen or propolis. stick it back in and let the bees clean it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts