Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with more than 10 years experience in bees, what are your favorite methods to requeen a full size hive with an old or failing queen with a new mated queen?

I’ve tended to remove the old queen and then newspaper combine a small nuc on top containing the new mated queen. It has worked well but would like to hear what others use as their most successful method.

Feel free to share the link if you have answered this question someplace else in the forum.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: What’s your favorite way to requeen with mated queen?

Remove old queen, wait a few hours and put the new queen in the hive between frames with a marshmallow in one of the holes.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Its a matter of timing but in most instances including next week I add new queens when the old one has swarmed or is dead. I use a push in cage. I test first by laying the cage on top of the frames to test the manner in which she is treated. Then I push in the cage, and check about 3-4 days later. I have difficulty replacing the old queen when she is still alive as I am to old to see her.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

Introduce the new queen to a small nuc, after she has been accepted and has been laying for a few weeks, remove the old queen from her colony and put the nuc in the colony to be requeened.

·
Registered
296 Posts

A push in cage over capped brood and honey works best. When the bees emerge they except the new queen and the rest of the bees in the colony except her.

·
Registered
482 Posts

I will first make sure there is no queen in the hive, mated or not. Then I will introduce the mated queen in a push-in cage (thank you Michael Palmer for the tip.) I will wait a week and make sure there are no QC's in the hive. Then I will open the small opening in the push-in cage. The reason I have the gate is because if I suddenly pull the push-in cage there is a chance that the queen can fly out. It happened to me a few times mostly with younger queens. After opening the gate I will reassemble the hive and let the queen come out slowly. After one day I will remove the push in cage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

AR Beekeeeper and Clayton H: do you usually use newspaper when you requeen with nucs?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

I have done it both ways and with equal success. I think I prefer just inserting the nuc when I remove the old queen with an equal number of frames as the nuc. I always save the old queen until I am sure the new one is accepted.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have to do this in one of my two deep hives and I have found that a lot of housekeeping is involved to correct the damage done by a failing queen. The brood chamber is usually not clearly defined and there is a lot of nectar in the area that should be reserved for brood and laying. I plan to have drawn comb on hand to give the new queen an area to lay. Your situation may be different but my theory is that the colony needs to get the new queen up and running otherwise they may not think the new queen is any good. Other advice about introducing the queen present good options.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I split the colony into nucs and give a cell or queen (usually candy release), depending on the season and availability. The cell obviously does not always return a mated queen. This year I had one hot nuc reject a caged queen and draw queen cells. A push in cage would have helped. Instead I removed the queen (i had kept lid on as hot colonies have given me trouble before), removed QC and waited a week. Check back, no queen cells, add caged queen with candy release. This definitely felt like a chore but worked. If I had to do that regularly I'd use a push in cage per MP's suggestion. An overwintered nuc produces as much honey as production colonies if managed for production and I rarely (never?) have queen failure during main flow. So not much point requeening 1 failing full sized colony when I can use their resources better in nucs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts