Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been collecting pollen from one hive in my yard. This was doing great, bringing in lots of pollen.

I gave them a few weeks off while I went on vacation as well. When I came back I set the trap for collection, they were bringing in a much brighter yellow pollen this time and it seemed very wet. The majority of the pollen was being collected the front left corner, and it would pile up there. Daily I would collect and this area would be very wet, looked like water had poured on it, all the pollen running together.

The amount of moisture made me worry, I have been saving it for pollen patties. I am trying to collect for personal use but the wet look of this pollen has turned me off to using it.

Any ideas? Does this happen sometimes because of what they are collecting? Do I possibly have a moisture issue in the hive?
???:scratch:

·
Registered
970 Posts
is it sticky

some of it is nectar in it is the trap a plastic one it could cause it to draw moisture

I had a trap on once it was not as wet as your sounds i collected in a brown paper bag time i got home the bag was very wet. it was sticky they were working bitter weeds it was good strong honey flow off them for a month. Got 10 lbs off that one hive in 30 days

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not sure if it was sticky. I have since discontinued collecting due to the wet pollen.

The trap is a bottom mount Sundance II

1 - 6 of 6 Posts