Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning to the first real rain we've had in NorCal in a long, long time. Unfortunately the wind had blown the top cover off of my strongest hive, so the inner cover had been acting like a funnel and dumping water into the middle of the hive for some time. I covered it back up and put a brick on the cover to prevent it from happening again. Anything I can do to help this hive? Is it doomed?

We have rain all day today and tomorrow. The hive is tipped forward a bit so water will run out of the bottom board.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It sounds like you have done all you need to. There will be probably be some brood loss due to chilling, but I would bet that things will turn out OK. You said it was your strongest hive - chances are good it will just shrug this off.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bees are surprisingly tough if you give them the chance. You have done it all at present so its now time to have a beer and wait to see the outcome. Just don't go digging around in there to see what is happening, it will just upset them and put them back even further.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would just add to make sure the hive is ventilated so it can dry out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts