Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do with frames after extracting? When I put them out in the open the bees clean them up ok but it sets off a feeding frenzy and I run the risk of other critters moving in. What happens if the extracted supers are put back on the hive(s):scratch: Do the bees relocate the gleanings or start to refill:s
TKS

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
This is something of an endless debate - there are many strategies about what to do with wet frames. I put them back on the hives, not being particular about which hive they came from. I put them over the inner cover and thus far I haven't had any issues with the bees refilling them or not promptly cleaning them out. Once they are cleaned out I take them off the hive and store them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Andrew, Is that little oval opening in the inner cover large enough for the workers to move through to clean things up? How many supers can they do and about how long does it take them? I plan on 2 deeps and a medium to make it through the Michigan winter and I don't want supers on top of the hive, In fact, I am going to put a Warre quilt box on top to hold in the heat and scent, but let the moisture through. One can mess around with things like this when they only have one hive to maintain.

Fog

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Yes the hole in the inner cover is plenty big enough for workers to pass through. I had a hive the other day where bees were covering the top of the inner cover when there wasn't anything else but a telescoping cover above them! I've had the bees cleanup 2-3 shallow supers at a time. Takes them maybe a week if the weather is warm like it is now. A bit longer toward the end of September.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts