Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! I just started beekeeping this year, picking up two colonies from down south. I live in Pennsylvania and we just had a huge thunderstorm here today. When I got home from work I went to take a look at the hives and noticed a huge pile of bees outside the hives on the ground. They were soaked and I thought they were dead at first as there was a slug slowly making its way across them. Upon gentle prodding it seems that they were alive. I have no idea what's going on/what to do. One of the hives had been bearding pretty heavily up till today, although I have a ventilated top and a screened bottom, but I figured if they were caught in the rain they'd just return inside.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine were doing the same, just had a rain storm here in Maryland, and it didn't drive them all back in. They are very busy festooning, and don't seem to mind getting rained on. My brood chambers (2 deeps) are very active, and I regularly check for swarms cells. I just put on a 3rd honey super-foundation. So I hope they are just busy doing some work out on the front porch and not holding a union meeting!

I think maybe yours got too wet and fell off the porch. Will be interested to hear other comments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well these girls were pretty far from the hive, about 4 feet from the entrance, so unless a really strong wind came along I'm not sure they just fell off from the outside. What I ended up doing was throw a cardboard box over them. I checked the hive that was bearding and there were a few bees there but definitely not a full package. After an hour many of the bees in the grass had made their way into the box and my buddies brought over another hive body. We covered the bees with sugar water and dumped them into the new body. We figure either they'll all go back home tomorrow or if they swarmed they'll just set up shop in the new hive. The most shocking thing is we were basically asking for stings and didn't get hit once. It was wet, chilly, and dark by the time we got the bees into their new (hopefully temporary) home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts