Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have been doing this the past couple of days. I don't know what it means. If it means anything. I tried to look it up but I really don't know what I'm looking for. I checked around 1:30 eastern time. They were flying all around

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
can't tell whats going on in the photo other than them going in/out of the entrance? if they are doing little loops around the front they are orienting themselves to the hive so they can find their way back.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If there are bees flying in circles in front of the hive, as I assume there are, you have new bees orienting on the hive. This is a good sign, it means you have emerging brood in the hive and increasing numbers of bees.

It can get quite impressive during large buildups, with thousands of bees roaring around and crawling in and out. Easy to mistake for robbing, too!

Peter

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If there are bees flying in circles in front of the hive, as I assume there are, you have new bees orienting on the hive. This is a good sign, it means you have emerging brood in the hive and increasing numbers of bees.

It can get quite impressive during large buildups, with thousands of bees roaring around and crawling in and out. Easy to mistake for robbing, too!

Peter
Thanks for the info. I just released the queen from her cage yesterday. I just to know everything is going ok. I had a rough start, to the season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts