Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My second winter as a beek, and after killing-off my hive last spring I was apprehensive. We've had a harder, longer winter than we've had in some time. A few weeks ago (still below zero) I "bumped" on the hive to check for life, and barely detected activity. My concern was hightened!! Our weather finally broke a few days ago, went out a found a large pile of dead, with some activity at the entrance. I gathered all my materials for feeding, removed the cover and was pleasantly surprised to see what appeared to be several thousand bees. Quickly fed them, closed-up the hive and left with fingers crossed.
We have a few more hives on order, and another box (queen/workers) on order. Feeling better about starting to expand our tiny operation. memtb

·
Registered
557 Posts
I checked my two hives today. I didn't think they were dead but thought there weren't many left. I was really surprised to see that I seem to have a lot of bees. I didn't take any frames out, but there were a lot of bees on top. The still have plenty of sugar. I fed a couple handfuls of pollen substitute about ten days ago and again today. Hope I didn't start the protein too soon?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only gave mine some granulated sugar and some winter supplement! We're a while away from anything blooming, I don't need any more mouths to feed!! memtb

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's kinda what I'd like to have. I'd like to go as natural as is reasonable with bees that can survive hard winters, diseases, and me!! memtb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts